Saturday, October 13, 2007

clever, bastards

When I'm feeling particularly clever I like to refer to Radiohead as "our generation's Pink Floyd". I should point out that I'm usually saying this to my cat who just doesn't get the reference. However, they've done this -

http://www.inrainbows.com/

Pay whatever you feel like. I paid about twelve dollars - yesterday's conversion rate, I don't know what it converts to today - probably thirty dollars or something. I paid the amount that I'd pay at the record store (if record stores still existed) and still be able to sleep at night.

Clever. When bands/record companies are busy taking people to court and firing off strongly worded letters about being "pirates", Radiohead lets you pay what you want - pretty much saying, "Here's our new album, pay us whatever you feel is appropriate. It's up to you. We would rather people listen to it than not. We'd also rather not share the profits with the guys with business degrees and tailored suits. Those guys give us the creeps. Besides, people shouldn't own more than one tie, just saying..." Though they are saying this in weird Radiohead code, but that's the gist of it.

Bravo, sirs.

Once the hubbub about the music delivery system has settled down - they've still put out a good album. Once Radiohead gets into your blood it's impossible to see anything they do as sub par. In Rainbows is good. A nice addition to my Radiohead Master Mix that's on my sweet new iPod. I'd have been upset if the album turned out to be gibberish, but it's not. It's kick ass.

Dos bravos, sirs.

Radiohead, our generation's Pink Floyd.

Tres bravos, sirs, for synergy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

Haha, love your blogs Alex. I got to disagree with you though, since I am a label, business suit bastard. Not on the Floyd comparison, but on the label front. I would bet my whole guitar collection that you wouldn't know who Radiohead was if Capitol didn't distribute them in the US. Nobody would have seen the video for Creep, because it wouldn't exist. Plus there are probably a 1000 bands Capitol took risks on and then ate shit on, using the money they earned off of successful bands like Radiohead. Just like when Prince jumped ship from Warner Bros years ago and became a symbol I can't pronounce. He realized Internet distribution was a freedom artists never had. Myself being an artist, “Will Wakefield,” minus said record company is completely internationally distributed. You know why Prince sells more records, has more hits on his website? Because Warner Bros made him a public figure when he had the hunger and the potential to be a star. There’s lots of talent out there that just needs a 400 person marketing team, and a budget to put their record in your ears and your hands. That’s all the record companies job is. The big dirty bad record company died a while back. The only artists you hear complaining about record companies ripping them off is the ones that are successful and make money for themselves and their label. You don’t hear stories about the artist’s that had 500k spent on them, and then disappeared. See if you take a 500k loan from a bank, they take your house, cars, and guitars. You take a 500k loan from a record company, nothing happens. You’re obligated to pay for it via royalties you don’t make anyway. Since everybody is stealing music. Yay! I got in the right business.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter