Saturday, June 14, 2008

A trip down Nerd Street

This movie was pretty good, not super awesome, but good. The CGI Hulk was fair, but showed emotion and seemed alive (this is a feat). And, as George Lucas once said (and I swear he said this in the eighties when Return of the Jedi came out on VHS) - a movie w/ special effects and no story is going to suck. I'm paraphrasing because I was 13 when he said it. Anywhoo...

Superhero movies are a tough nut to crack, when they're good, they are very good. Movies such as Ironman, Batman, Batman Begins and X Men 2.

When they are bad, holy shit are they bad. I refer to both Fantastic Four movies, The Punisher (Dolf Lundgren version), The Punisher (Thomas Jane version), the upcoming Punisher: War Zone (that guy from Rome version), Spawn, X Men 3, Superman Returns, Daredevil, Electra, and finally Spiderman 3.

The list of shit Superhero movies far outweighs the list of good ones. I'm sure that it has to do with the movie makers only having a passing acquaintance with the source material (I just read that sentence I sound like an AICN douche...Jesus).

Allegedly Edward Norton and the Director McFrenchie McTransporter guy wanted a longer version of the movie. It's anyone's guess whether the additional minutes are quality or if they suck. We'll probably find out when the 2 Disk DVD is released.

On the whole, as far a Hulk movies go, it's a pretty good one. Though I'm interested in the fact that no one seems to take advantage of the thematic similarities between Bruce Banner/Hulk and Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde. The difference between the two is "I've got a monster inside me" and "I've got a FUCKING monster inside me". For some reason the latter is far more interesting (to me). The Hulk by itself is boring, Banner by himself is also boring. Bruce Banner terrified of the Hulk, not just turning into the Hulk, is exciting and more of an emotional struggle. As it played out in this movie, it seemed that he was a guy trying to cure the common cold. It wasn't as life or death as it could have been, which is where the movie fell flat.

On the upside, it's got Liv Tyler in it and she's hot. Also, it follows the "New Superhero Movie Formula" where the Superhero fights a bigger, badder version of said Superhero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter