Sunday, July 06, 2008

rant.

Really?

What was wrong with the original? Admittedly there was less Keanu...but still...

If anything is to be learned from movies in the last ten years it's that effects don't make the movie and this movie looks like it's going to be pretty effects heavy. Now, effects are rad when used sparingly and serve the story (I'm looking at you, CGI baby in Children of Men...and if I just clued you in that the baby was fake then my point has been made) but when they're done for the hell of it...it just feels empty (Star Wars Episode One).

Science Fiction remakes tend to suck balls (Gojira, I mean 1998s Godzilla). But then again when they don't suck balls, they are pretty awesome (John Carpenter's The Thing). So it's a toss up.

The point of this goes further than the effects, but it's the storytelling. For reference I suggest putting the Twilight Zone (season's 1-4), the Tom Baker era of Doctor Who, Forbidden Planet and The Thing from Another World into your Netflix queue. They are all great stories that are light on effects (they were expensive and didn't go much further than hiring a guy to paint a 'martian looking' backdrop) and heavy on story - instead of the other way around. The story unraveled like you were watching it on stage, slow, methodical and ultimately more satisfying.

Who am I kidding, I'll go see it, but I won't enjoy it - at least not if I have anything to say about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter